Home About the hospital

General information

 

Phone +372 731 8111

Mon.- Fri. 08.00 - 19.00

Contacts

Tartu University Hospital
1a L. Puusepa St.
50406 TARTU

Phone +372 731 9401
Fax +372 731 9402

e-mail: kliinikum@kliinikum.ee

Map

Banner
About the hospital PDF Print

Introduction

In May 1804 the medical scientist Daniel Georg Balk opened Tartu University Hospital - Clinicum Universitatis Dorpatensis.

The list of world-famous scientists whose studies can be connected to Tartu University Hospital is long. The first ether-based anaesthesia was performed as soon as one year after Thomas Morton administered it for the first time in Boston in 1846, while attempts to repeat W.C. Röntgen's experiments took place just five weeks after the initial announcement of his experiments in 1895.

Tartu University Hospital is the largest provider of medical care in Estonia, and all of the fields practised in the country are represented here. In several fields (such as kidney, bone marrow and liver transplantation and congenital heart disease surgery) it is the only medical institution in Estonia with specialists at such a high level.

As Tartu University Hospital is the only hospital of its kind in Estonia, it plays a substantial role in both the undergraduate and post-graduate lives of students, as well as in the development of the country's medical science. Education and research are undertaken in close collaboration with the Medical Faculty of Tartu University. The Hospital also runs programmes of further education for employees of other hospitals and primary care units. The lecturers and researchers in Tartu have a long tradition of collaboration with colleagues from across Europe and elsewhere in the world.

The hospital's mission is to be recognised as a leader in ensuring the continuity and development of Estonian medicine through high-level integrated medical treatment, training and research.

Tartu University Hospital provides inpatient, outpatient and community-based services to patients residing all over Estonia.